Workout Wednesday – Archive
In pursuit of digging deeper into the world of data visualization I follow a simple self devised philosophy – Proficiency on any tool is a result of one’s technical know-how coupled with hands on experience with the tool.
To that end I’ve started following Workout Wednesday. Just like Makeover Monday this is yet another platform to squeeze out Tableau functionalities that facilitate a sophisticated and comprehensive solution to modern day data centric business problems.
In contrast to Makeover Monday – this exercise tests your experience with tableau instead of focussing on the visual cues. I have been following Tableau Zen Masters to pick pointers that help me solve these weekly vizzes. To get my hands dirty I began with visualizations from Workout Wednesday archives.
Lets get to the visualization. Requirements:
- Dashboard size: 1100 x 900; 4 sheets tiled
- Create a scatterplot of Sales vs. Profit with Segment on color
- Create BAN of total marks, total sales, total profit
- Include supporting information (min, max, slicing information)
- Create controls that allow the user to
- Change how the data is sliced (scattered)
- Separate out segments to different rows
- Separate out years to different columns
- Add or remove reference lines
- Match titles of each axis
- Match tooltips
- BANs should respond to selection inside of the scatterplot
- Don’t forget the color legend & line formatting!
The data for this exercise can be downloaded from here.
This has been the toughest Tableau Viz challenge for me so far. This literally was brain wrecking!
This dashboard focusses on condensing important KPI’s into ‘Discovery Dashboard’ of sorts. It can help end users/clients get an insight into the performance and trend or seasonality of a company’s data.
Onwards to exploring and creating solutions with DATA!